Tuesday 24 September 2013

Grilled at a State Dinner


Handler:  OK.  We’re all set.  You’ll be great.  You show up.  No one will be expecting you. Everyone will clap and cheer.   Just read what’s on the teleprompter.  No ad libbing at this event.   It’s a friendly crowd so you’ll be fine.   And it’s for a great cause.  There won’t be any questions.  Read the speech.  Have some fun.  And then get out of there.  Remember, don’t take any questions. You haven’t been briefed.  Stick with the prepared statements. 

President (to himself):  Geez.  Relax.  I’m the President.  I’m pretty sure I can handle this crowd.  What’s wrong with taking a question or two?

President (out loud):  OK.  OK.  No questions.  Stick to the prepared stuff.


Handler (out loud): Fantastic!  Who’s the man?  You’re the man!! 

Handler (to himself) Please God, don’t let him screw this up…..


The remarks go well.  The event is a great success.  The President is walking off the stage when suddenly someone shouts a question to him!


President (to himself):  Uh oh.  A question! They made me promise not to take any questions.  I haven’t been briefed. Why does this always happen?  And why is he asking a question anyway? Maybe we need to start restricting attendance at these things.  What should I do? Hey, waitaminnit, I’m the President.  I can handle this.  I just need to buy some time.

President (out loud):  I didn't quite get that.  Could you repeat the question?

President (to himself): Ha!

An eight year old boy repeats the question.

Little Boy: What’s your favorite food?

President: (to himself) Jesus. What’s my favorite food?  Is the kid trying to trip me up?  Christ.  What do I say?  Michelle’s standing right there! I hate these kinds of questions.

I remember when I told that magazine my favorite foods were chili, French Fries and pork chops.  Michelle nearly killed me.  Well I sure can’t say that again.

And the media was all over me that time at the Iowa State Fair.  Everyone told me to say I liked the Pork Chop on a Stick with a beer.  But I blurted out my favorite food was Pork Chops and beer.  Big deal that I forgot the “on the stick” part.  And big deal that I've never had pork chops and beer in my life.  Who has?  And then I even get ripped for eating it with a knife and fork.  Sometimes you can’t win.  So I've got to be really, really careful with this question.

And this is Michelle’s event.  I've got to say the right thing.  Let me see.  This is a “healthy recipe contest for kids”.  Hmmm. What was the winning recipe again? A Brussels sprout wrap, right? OK.  THAT’s my favorite food then.  Brussels Sprout Wraps!

But I can’t say that.  I hate Brussels sprouts.

Uh, everyone’s waiting for me to say something.  What’s my favorite food? Jesus. What do I say?  I sure can’t say arugula, can I? Heh heh. Mutura? Bolang-baling?  I ate dog once. That was pretty good. Hmmm  But I better not say that.  Man oh man. Why wasn't I briefed?  I’m going to kill someone.

OK. I got this.  I’m the President.  This is a roomful of kids.  This is a once in a lifetime chance for them to hear directly from the President.  They will remember the answer to this question for the rest of their lives.  What’s my favorite food? Geez. Not a straightforward question at all.  There are so many variables to take into account.  I can’t tell them any of my real favorite foods, that’s for sure.  Michelle would kill me.  And my answer has to be something really smart.  Something a President would say!

Hey, what’s this on the lectern?  Holy Cow.  What luck.  It’s a menu from Michelle’s National School Lunch Program! I’ll just take something off the menu and pretend it's my favorite food!

Lets see….Rutabaga Potato Mash….Bean and Kale Ragu…..Roasted Fennel.  What the…?  Beet and Shallot Smoothie.  I've never even heard of any of this stuff…

What’s your favorite food?

President (to himself):  Potato Leek Gratin…..Baked Kale Chips….What do I do?  What do I do?  Parsnip Puree….who’s supposed to eat this stuff?  Broccoli Couscous.  Broccoli!  I've heard of broccoli!

What’s your favorite food???

President (to himself): I hate broccoli though. Everyone hates broccoli. But it’s on Michelle’s menu.  Roasted Yucca Fries…..Mung Bean Crepes….Good Lord.


WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE FOOD????


Obama (out loud): BROCCOLI! That’s my favorite food.

(Silence)

Little Boy (to himself): Did he just say broccoli? Geez, he must really think we’re stupid…………



____________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment